Tuesday 4 October 2011

Happy Durga Puja

Happy Durga Puja to all! It comes but once a year for those of us Hindus who don't necessarily celebrate Diwali & what a grand affair it is.



To celebrate this year, my own dear mother, Susmita Bhattacharya sang a programme of songs by Rabindranath Tagore at The Harrow Arts Centre. These songs called, 'Rabindra Sangeet,' is the music my mother is an expert in. {BTW It's Tagore 150th birth centenary dontcha know!}

This is the music I grew up with - Needless to say it had a MASSIVE effect on me.

To those of you who don't know the legacy of Tagore, he's like the Indian Bertolt Brecht crossed with Bob Dylan.
Read about him here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabindranath_Tagore

I was then treated to a Dance Piece, also by Tagore
Now to clear up matters this dance form is NOT 'B' for Bollywood.' Curiously all Indian Culture gets slapped with this unfortunate & generic label!
This dance form is none other than Bharata Natyam - My favourite Classical Dance form in all of India. And, moreover something that has influenced Bollywood.

Tea & Samosa's anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment