Saturday 27 August 2011

Joan La Barbara - ICON


Joan La Barbara has been the single most important influence on me as a vocalist this year.
Throughout her career she has radically explored the human voice as a multi faceted instrument, pushing the boundaries of what is possible with the voice.
La Barbara  has a wide history of collaborations with the likes of Phillip Glass, Morton Feldman & John Cage to visual artists such as Kenneth Goldsmith, Bruce Nauman, Judy Chicago & Christian Marclay.


Arguably her most memorable contribution to the mainstream was her vocal composition of the alphabet on Sesame Street. Check out the video below:






This is an amazing front cover from an album, I'm having trouble finding, called 'Tape Songs.' She looks like she is clad in a creation by knitwear master, Craig Lawrence!



Here is an excerpt from Morton Feldman's 'Three Voices,' Sometimes I feel it's the only music I really respond to as I drown trying to catch up in sea of new album releases!


Her website currently states that she is working on a full scale opera as we speak.
Yay - Who gonna be my date?
For more info go to:www.joanlabarbara.com

No comments:

Post a Comment